Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Bride by Ali Hazelwood


Title: Bride
Author: Ali Hazelwood
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy
Series: N/A
Paperback, 398 pages 
Publication: February 6, 2024
Source: Personal library 
Buy|AMAZON
|B&N|
Misery Lark, the only daughter of the most powerful Vampyre councilman of the Southwest, is an outcast—again. Her days of living in anonymity among the Humans are over: she has been called upon to uphold a historic peacekeeping alliance between the Vampyres and their mortal enemies, the Weres, and she sees little choice but to surrender herself in the exchange—again...

Weres are ruthless and unpredictable, and their Alpha, Lowe Moreland, is no exception. He rules his pack with absolute authority, but not without justice. And, unlike the Vampyre Council, not without feeling. It’s clear from the way he tracks Misery’s every movement that he doesn’t trust her. If only he knew how right he was….

Because Misery has her own reasons to agree to this marriage of convenience, reasons that have nothing to do with politics or alliances, and everything to do with the only thing she's ever cared about. And she is willing to do whatever it takes to get back what’s hers, even if it means a life alone in Were territory…alone with the wolf.

MY THOUGHTS

I have never read an Ali Hazelwood novel; her books never sounded like my thing, nor am I big on contemporary romances. But as a paranormal fantasy reader, I knew I had to read Bride. Bride had two of my favorite tropes: marriage of convenience and fated mates, with a Were Alpha and a Vampyre Princess Equivalent at its center. I was intrigued!

 Within the first few chapters, I was immediately engrossed with the story and characters. Misery, the FMC, was quirky, and I absolutely loved her dry sense of humor, especially when she was interacting with Lowe’s little sister Ana; the two were a hoot. It was interesting to see Misery’s life before and after marriage, despite the setting being primarily within the pack territory. The hierarchy and different Vampyre and Were dynamics were easy to follow and understand. I also appreciated how each character played a pivotal role in the story; every single character was very well-developed and fleshed out.

 Was Bride the best paranormal urban fantasy out there? Absolutely not, but it was fun and entertaining. I think this is a great introduction for those not familiar with the sub-genre or who are new to reading paranormal urban fantasy. I thought the story and characters were great, and with how the book ended, I would happily pick up the sequel. All in all, a solid read with a light mystery and romance that I enjoyed.




No comments:

Post a Comment