Monday, November 21, 2011

Short & Sweet Review: The Hour of Dust and Ashes by Kelly Gay

Title: The Hour of Dust and Ashes
Author: Kelly Gay
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Charlie Madigan #3

Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages 
Published on August 30, 2011 

Source: Bought

Summary (via Amazon):
To save her sister, she must stop a silent killer. . . .
Protecting Atlanta from the off-world criminals of Underground is tough enough, but now Detective Charlie Madigan and her siren partner, Hank, learn that the addicts of the offworld drug ash have begun taking their own lives. Ash makes humans the perfect vessels for possession, and something or someone is leading them to their deaths. Charlie is desperate to save her addicted sister, Bryn, from a similar fate. As New Year’s Eve approaches and time runs out, Charlie makes a deadly bargain with an ancient race of beings and embarks on a dangerous journey into hellish Charbydon with Hank and the Revenant Rex to save Bryn and make it back before it’s too late. Only, for one of them, coming home means facing a fate worse than death. . . .

My thoughts:  Charlie and the gang are all back in the third novel, The Hour of Dust and Ashes. Someone is forcing ash victims to take their own life and making it look like a suicide.  Charlie’s sister, Bryn, is one of the handfuls of people that are addicted to ash (off-worlder drug) and Charlie does everything in her power to make sure that her sister doesn’t end up dead like the others.  I fell in love with the world and characters when I first started this series. As each book progress, the story gets better and better.  Charlie is one of my favorite heroines in the Urban fantasy genre, she strong, independent, caring, and really protective of her friends and family. Readers will get to leave Atlanta for a while and see a little of hellish Charbydon this time around. We will also get to learn a little more about the men in Charlie’s life. Rex (Revenant) with his Jinn background and Hank, where he came from and what happens to him as he grew up. 

Overall, a great addition to the series! What really stood out in this third installment is the relationship between Charlie and Hank. Their relationship is not just partners on the job but something more. There is definitely chemistry between the two characters but both haven’t taken it to the next level. I love their interaction and dialogue and think readers will enjoy it too. If you enjoy reading the Mercy Thompson series, Kate Daniel series, or The Elemental Assassin series…then pick this series up now! You won’t regret it.  Mrs. Gay definitely knows how to create a world where you never want to leave and realistic character that will you will grow to love and care for.

My favorite passage in ‘’The Hour of Dust and Ashes’’:
“For the record,” he said looking up at me with a crooked smile, “this is not how I pictured removing your pants for the first time.”
“That confident, are we?”
His smile filled out, deep and brimming with humor. “When something is this inevitable. Yes.”
I rolled my eyes, but couldn’t help but smile. I pulled one leg free and then the other.
He tossed my wet pants into the pile with the rest of my soiled clothes, then turned back and froze.
“You’re wearing spongebob underwear”
Shit.
My gaze flew downward and my mortification was finally complete. “Emma got them for me…for my birthday.” What the hell. Might as well get it over with. I turn around. “Patrick is on my ass.”


No comments:

Post a Comment