Friday, July 15, 2016

Kaitlin's Tale by Christine Amsden

Title: Kaitlin's Tale
Author: Christine Amsden
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: N/A

Trade Paperback, 270 Pages
Publication: July 15, 2016  by Twilight Times

Source: I received a review copy from the author in exchange for a honest review.

Buy|Amazon|B&N|
Kaitlin Mayer is on the run from the father of her baby – a vampire who wants her to join him in deadly eternity. Terrified for her young son, she seeks sanctuary with the hunters guild. Yet they have their own plans for her son, and her hopes of safety are soon shattered.

When she runs into Matthew Blair, an old nemesis with an agenda of his own, she dares to hope for a new escape. But Matthew is a telepath, and Kaitlin’s past is full of dark secrets she never intended to reveal.

Kaitlin’s Tale is a standalone novel, but is set in Cassie Scot’s world, series by the same name by Christine Amsden. I am a big fan of the Cassie Scot novels and the first spin off novel, featuring Cassie’s best friend, Madison’s Song. It is no surprise that I ended up loving Kaitlin’s Tale, another of Cassie’s best friend just as much. What’s funny though is I don’t normally read spin off novels. And on the off chance that I do, I rarely enjoy it, don’t finish it or don’t continue with the subsequent books. However, Amsden’s spin-off novel had the opposite effect on me. I not only enjoyed the story/plot but I loved being back in Cassie’s world and seeing all the familiar characters and learning more about them.

I honestly didn’t know what to expect in Kaitlin’s book. I didn’t have much of an opinion of her when she was a secondary character. At the beginning of the story she was a depressed, self-deprecating scared new mother, a prisoner of the world’s most powerful vampire and a human no less. Basically the lowest on the chain in the world full of vampires, werewolves and wizards. But as the book progressed, Kaitlin learned to stand-up for herself, took risks and most importantly learned self worth and that she deserved happiness just like everyone else. She was a force to be reckoned with and the most powerful players started to feared her and see her as a threat. That is one of the reason why I love Amsden novels. The female main characters are pictured/assumed weak, but in reality, they are the strongest one. Kaitlin a human may not be born a wizard, changed into a werewolf or the walking undead and yet she was able to out power and outsmart all of them! On the romance part, which I don’t want to spoil by saying too much; but for some reason I thought Kaitlin and Jason were going to try working things out…but I’m not complaining about Kaitlin’s other love interest. That was a pleasant surprise.

Bottom line, I loved Kaitlin’s Tale much more than I expected and thought it was a great spin-off novel and addition to Cassie Scot’s world. I don’t say this often, or ever, but I hope we get more Spin-off novels! Or better yet, create a series from either Madison or Kaitlin…combination of both?! After how this book ended, I am dying to know what happens next and if they’re (can’t name names lol) planning to go forward with the unification! And Jay! That kid is a wonderful enigma and I want to see more of him too. I highly recommend Kaitin's Tale to all Urban Fantasy fans. Yes, there are vampire, werewolves...the usual variety but Amsden's writing and storytelling will keep you glued but it's the characters that make you want to stay and continue along on their journey. I suggest starting at the beginning with the Cassie Scot novels; there's a lot of background/history and would make it easier to understand and follow along. These books and Kaitlin's Tale is a must read!





No comments:

Post a Comment