Tuesday, June 01, 2021

A Killing Frost by Seanan McGuire

Title: A Killing Frost

Author:
Genre:
Urban Fantasy
Series: October Daye #14
Hardcover, 368 pages
Publication: September 21, 2020 by DAW
Source: Personal Library

Buy|Amazon
|B&N|
When October is informed that Simon Torquill—legally her father, due to Faerie's archaic marriage traditions—must be invited to her wedding or risk the ceremony throwing the Kingdom in the Mists into political turmoil, she finds herself setting out on a quest she was not yet prepared to undertake for the sake of her future.... and the man who represents her family's past.

My Thoughts

 A Killing Frost was the 14th novel in October Daye Series, and honestly it showed. This is one of my top three favorite series but now that we’re so far in, it seems like the author is just dragging it along. A Killing Frost felt like a filler novel. October and Tybalt are about to get married but of course there’s an obstacle in the way. Due to Faerie law, all family must be invited to the wedding. Thus begins October on her excruciating journey to find her father Simon. 

I have a lot of issues with A Killing Frost. First, why on earth aren’t October and Tybalt wed already?! I felt like readers have been waiting long enough only to be duped out of it with this latest installment. Secondly, the rules states that October’s parents must be invited or another family member may claim offense on the behalf of said party but hello…October didn’t invite her own mother! Nowhere in the books was it stated that she invited Amadine…two books ago left the two on the usual unhappy terms. Thirdly, the revelation at the end where Simon was always Patrick’s lover…what the heck was that? McGuire never, ever, ever alluded to this. Ever. And the solution to Simon’s dilemma to being homeless and alone was to go live with Patrick and Diana as a married threesome. WHAT?! Everything was so bizarre. I felt like McGuire threw that at us out of the blue and added it for the sake of checking it off her list. As if she thought: I have a gay couple, lesbian couple…oh here’s a bi thruple. Nothing against gay, lesbian or bi couples but I don’t like how McGuire used it sparingly to just push the story along. However It didn’t bring anything to the story line except confusion. Also, a cheap plot device.

It was hard getting through this book due to all the problematics mentioned above. The book started off alright but as the story progressed I felt myself skimming 2/3 into the book. McGuire as usual did a bunch of rehashing and info-dumping again which I would say accounted for more than 50% of the words in the book. I understand authors need to summarize the books as best as they can but com’on, it’s the 14th book in the series, its almost guarantee that readers who are reading it have read previous books in the series! I’m tired of the repetitiveness and info-dumping. We readers expect a new book with a new plot that challenges our favorite characters…we’re not paying to read half of the previous books.

With that said, If you’re also an October Daye fan, I’d skip this book entirely because it adds no value to the series as a whole. If you still want to read it, I’d suggest reading the first 10% of the novel then skip to the last 10% to see how everything wraps up. Everything in between that is redundant and lackluster. I wished I knew before hand that this was a plot-less book. My only regret is having such high expectations going in only to waste my time and money on A Killing Frost. I’ve been a loyal fan of the series since 09’ and am planning on continuing the series regardless. This book by far my biggest disappointment read so far this year.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment