Wednesday, December 01, 2021

Shadowed Steel by Chloe Neill

Title:
Shadowed Steel
Author:
Genre:
Urban Fantasy
Series: Heirs of Chicagoland # 3
Paperback, 336 pages
Publication: May 4, 2021 by
Berkley Books
Source: Personal library

Buy|Amazon
|B&N|
Elisa Sullivan is the only vampire ever born, and she bears a heavy legacy. After a sojourn with the North American Central Pack of shifters in the wilderness--where she turned a young woman into a vampire to save her life--Elisa returns to Chicago.

But no good deed goes unpunished. The ruling body of vampires, the Assembly of American Masters, is furious that Elisa turned someone without their permission, and they're out for her blood. When an AAM vampire is found dead, Elisa is the prime suspect. Someone else is stalking Chicago--and Elisa. She'll need to keep a clear head, and a sharp blade, to survive all the supernatural strife.

My Thoughts

Shadowed Steel is the third novel in the Heirs of Chicagoland series, a spin-off from the Chicagoland Vampire series. I was really excited to get back to the world, having enjoyed the first and second book. Elisa is still adjusting to being back home in Chicago and around old family and friends. The pressure to join a house has been mounting since the first book but the pressure finally built up in the third when the AAM came to town to question Elisa for creating a new vampire which breaks their most sacred rule. To make matters worse, someone is going around hurting people on Elisa’s behalf making her suspect number one.

While I enjoyed Shadowed Steel in my opinion it wasn’t as engaging as the previous books in the series. I think I’ve passed the honeymoon phase. Instead of finding Elisa’s action endearing as I did before, I found it annoying. Connor jokes and always calls Elisa a little brat and I gotta say it’s pretty accurate. Conner’s alpha wolf bravado has also gotten old. Everything I liked about the couple, I no longer like for some reason…perhaps not relatable or believable as I thought.

The only saving grace for Shadowed Steel was the ending. I must admit it was the best part of the entire book. Elisa’s speech at the end was everything and the scene was well-written. I think that’s what I missed most in this book, there wasn’t enough good action. With that said, I’m not sure If I’d pick up the next book…I’ll see how everything goes but if the author plans another 13 book series like the original…I’d think I’ll past. So far I don’t see the overall plot, endgame. Unless something big happens with Elisa’s inner monster in the next book, the series is currently a boat without direction. At least none that I can see. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment