Monday, July 29, 2024

The Mist Thief by L.J .Andrews

Title:
 The Mist Thief
Author: L.J. Andrews
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Ever Seas #3
Paperback, 454 pages 
Publication: June 30, 2024
Source: Personal Library
Buy|AMAZON
|BN|
She tried to kill him, so he made her his wife.

Skadi first met her husband-to-be with blades in hand on the opposite side of a battle. She lost, and he claimed his prize.

To her horror, the king of the shadow elven agrees to marry her off to Jonas, a prince in the fae realms, as a way to unite their kingdoms against a shared enemy—the light elves. Skadi knows the marriage is nothing but a political game. Feelings won’t come into play.

Except her new husband makes not falling in love . . . challenging.

When new threats arise, Skadi must decide to either love her enemy, or keep him alive by betraying him to another.

MY THOUGHTS

To be frank, I had no interest in reading The Mist Thief. The couple, Jonas and Skadi seemed like a poor choice and are polar opposite and yes, I am familiar with the term 'opposite attracts'. And of all the characters in the Ever Seas series, I couldn't care less about Skadi. The only reason I read The Mist Thief was because of the following book, book 4 features Tate and Mira...and I don't want to miss any detail, so of course I read the third installment in the Ever Seas series. And I must say the title was poorly chosen. Skadi isn't a thief in any capacity. And while I've read both The Ever King and The Ever Queen books...when I got to this book, I had no idea who was chosen based on that title alone. Odd choice. 

The Mist Thief follows the popular trope, marriage of convenience between the Elven Princess Skadi and Alver Prince Jonas. Jonas is one of Livie's best friends whom reader met in the first book, The Ever King and we met Skadi in the last book, The Ever Queen. There wasn't much going on in this installment. Skadi and Jonas spent half the book fighting their attraction to each other which involved a lot of miscommunications (a trope I hate). During this time, we also saw them spending their time in Jonas's kingdom and Skadi's kingdom. What irked me the most about the entire story was the marriage contract and Skadi's grandfather scheming and trying to make and break contracts throwing Skadi around like a pawn. The entire situation was preventable, but of course...there would be no story without it. I didn't care about Jonas or Skadi's relationship. Skadi's personality at the beginning and the end were essentially the same to me. Her character development could've been better written but, in my opinion, she didn't have any qualities that stood out. Jonas was a cookie-cutter hero that I've seen countless of time. Unoriginal and boring. The only characters that stood out and surprised me at how much I enjoyed reading about them were Jonas's parents' Kase and Mal (Yes, also aware they have their own story in the original series. I haven't read it.)

So far I've read three novels in The Ever Sea Series by Andrews...and while her writing is good, the plot points are ALL the same. It's following a template or formula that makes it predictable. The author follows certain beats to the story which seems to always concludes with a ''battle'' in the last 20% of the novel and ends up being poorly done and rushed. It literally happened in all three novels. I prefer books that surprises me. Because I saw everything in this book miles away.

I am glad I pushed myself to finish this book, so I can get to Tate and Mira's novel. But all in all, I won't be picking up any other books by Andrews in the future after The Stolen Crown releases. The quality isn't there and that's something I can clearly see now with how many novels are published within the world/spinoff books. Quality over quantity. 







No comments:

Post a Comment