Wednesday, September 25, 2024

By the Orchid and the Owl by Mariah Montoya

Title:
 By the Orchid and the Owl 
Author: Mariah Montoya 
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Esholian Institute #1
Paperback, 415 pages
Publication: April 3, 2024
Source: Personal Library
Buy|AMAZON
|
On the island of Eshol, a ruling council gifts magic to all its citizens — whether they want it or not.

Eighteen-year-old Rayna Drey should be excited for her Branding, when the island’s Good Council will infuse her blood with one of five sanctioned the ability to wield elements, summon objects, shift forms, talk to wildlife, or manipulate minds. The Good Council is good. The Branding doesn’t hurt. And the institution she must attend afterward, to learn how to control her new gift, is only a little dangerous.

Or, at least, that’s what Rayna has always heard. As soon as she arrives at the Esholian Institute, however, a peer-pressured dare makes her explode with a power as deadly as it is forbidden. Worse yet, the only one who can teach her how to hide it from the Good Council is Coen Steeler, a much-too-handsome fifth-year who can manipulate minds as easily as he breathes. He alone understands Rayna’s forbidden power…because he has the same one.

With their secret in each other’s hands, Rayna soon uncovers other dark secrets that threaten the very foundation of the island itself. And the worst of them? If the Good Council finds out what lurks in her and Coen’s blood, they’ll both face a fate beyond obedience — and a punishment worse than death.


MY THOUGHTS

I've had By the Orchid and the Owl on my TBR list for a while now. I didn't know much about the story but only heard great things about it. The book reminded me of an adult version of Harry Potter, except the characters are aged up with powers bestowed upon them through a magical brand. 

On the island of Eshol, when a person turns eighteen, they are whisked away to The Institute to be trained. Everyone is branded with a magical iron poker; and whichever magic is manifested lets them know which of the four houses they will be part of for the next five years. The houses consist of: Mind Powers, Power to talk to animals, shifters and elementals. I thought the overall premise and worldbuilding was interesting initially. I'm a suck for stories with school settings, no matter the genre. But it was a letdown in the end.

The book started out a bit slow as the world was set, and we're introduced to the different houses and peoples' powers. For majority of the book, we see the characters in their class environments and take tests to help develop their abilities. The book takes place over the course of a year. I would have thought a lot would happen in a year, but it doesn't. Halfway through the book I realized that this book is very low stakes and borderlines cozy fantasy...which isn't my cup of tea, unfortunately. It was literally class, test, parties and bullies' showdowns. 

Right from the start, we're shown that Rayna, the heroine, from a rural village is a special snowflake. She's powerful and advanced than majority of the student if not her entire house. There's little to no growth in the first book and while I know it's only the first book; there's just nothing memorable about Rayna (As I started this review, I had to go back and find her name because I already forgot after a couple of days). I also didn't care for the love interest, either. Also don't remember his name. But He was a mashup of everything we currently see and read in the Romantasy genre. Seen it all before. Thankfully, not another "Shadow Daddy" lol. 

I thought the whole pirate and faerie combination was weird. I guess because everyone lives on an island, we had to add in pirates? I don't know. I didn't like it nor care for it. I felt like it was just a useless plot device to explain 'Hey, you're special and not from here...you came from outside with the pirates'. 

By the Orchid and the Owl ultimately was just an okay read. Nothing special or memorable. The story was slow, stakes were low that I eventually didn't care about the plot or characters. I don't plan on continuing with the series but if you're interested and you have KU, I suggest reading on there for free/t to try out because this is not a book, I think many would reread.






No comments:

Post a Comment