Friday, September 27, 2024

Monstrous by Nicole M. Rubino

Title:
 Monstrous
Author: Nicole M. Rubino
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Monstrous # 1
Paperback, 466 pages 
Publication: January 17, 2024
Source: Personal Library
Buy|AMAZON
|
Monstrous claws weren't the type of gift I’d been expecting for my eighteenth birthday, along with the desire to eat my ex-boyfriend. Yet those beastly traits and carnivorous urges are the exact reason I’m here, at Alystair University.

Alystair University was all I heard about growing up. Its prestige and exclusivity could rival any Ivy League. But that’s not the real reason that sets the school apart from others. Everyone at this school is a monster. Like me.

I should feel safe here. This school will afford me the opportunity to hone my monstrous abilities and curb my carnivorous urges. Not to mention, I have a fierce girl gang by my side, guiding me every step of the way.

But then decapitated bodies start showing up on campus. Someone is killing off students, and in a school full of monsters, everyone is a suspect. Yet all eyes are on Nick Cervallos, a boy whose charm is as deadly as his claws.

And who I can’t seem to stay away from.

Despite danger lurking around every corner, I’m determined to prove Nick’s innocence. But in order to do that, I’ll have to let my monstrous side loose. I just don’t know what I’m more afraid of - coming face to face with a blood-thirsty monster…

Or myself.

MY THOUGHTS

I went into Monstrous completely unaware, and I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. A college full of monsters? But not just any monsters, reborn Greek monsters from myths and legends. How fascinating. To be honest, I haven't read any book yet that has done justice to Greek Mythology and there has been quite a few of them lately (not including Percy Jackson Series). 

Within the first few chapters I was hooked. The author quicky introduced and cemented Rhi and her girl gang. I love seeing the easy-going friendship and sisterhood that developed early on. The girls were closed right from the start to the very end. I haven't read friendships like this for a while in books. It's usually all about the romantic relationships. Which was refreshing. While Rhi and the girls learn about their monster history and abilities; they're also busy trying to find a murderer on campus that's targeting girls. I'm not sure if this series was labeled as 'Horror' but some of the description and scenes were pretty detailed and gruesome. I should have expected that, especially since this was a book about... monsters. 

Rhi wasn't a perfect character, but I still liked her a lot. She was always trying to protect the people she loved, even if she didn't go about, it the right way most of the time. I also liked Nick, the love interest for the most part. He was always an enigma, but the ending had me speechless! I can't wait to see what happens next. I absolutely adored all the girls, even Kass. One surprising thing about Monstrous was despite some of the scary and serious parts; this book was quite funny. I laughed so much. Rhi was a freaking comedian. 

Monstrous took me by complete surprise and I enjoyed it more than I anticipated. The book was very well written and kept me engaged throughout. There was never a bored moment. I can't wait to pick up the sequel, Venomous which releases next month, October 2024! I highly recommend this book if you're looking for something different and unique; a reprieve from all the Romantasy on the market right now. I am shocked there isn't more noise and hype about this book. Give this book a shot, you won't regret it!



No comments:

Post a Comment