Monday, January 07, 2013

Stitch by Samantha Durante

Title: Stitch
Author: Samantha Durante
Genre: New Adult + more
Series: Twist-laden trilogy/Stitch #1

Paperback, 314 pages
Publication: August 1st 2012 by Samantha Durante

Buy the book
|AMAZON|

Source: Author

|SUMMARY
Still struggling to find her footing after the sudden death of her parents, the last thing college freshman Alessa has the strength to deal with is the inexplicable visceral pull drawing her to a handsome ghostly presence. In between grappling with exams and sorority soirees - and disturbing recurring dreams of being captive in a futuristic prison hell - Alessa is determined to unravel the mystery of the apparition who leaves her breathless. But the terrifying secret she uncovers will find her groping desperately through her nightmares for answers.

Because what Alessa hasn't figured out yet is that she's not really a student, the object of her obsession is no ghost, and her sneaking suspicions that something sinister is lurking behind the walls of her university's idyllic campus are only just scratching the surface...
 

|REVIEW
First off, look at that cover! I love it, so beautiful and striking yet simplistic. The cover does a great job at depicting the story and the characters (if you read the book, you'd totally see what I mean ;) ). I should now get on with the review for the book. Wow, this book was something else! It takes a lot to really shock me, and Stitch did exactly that. This book is a mix of genres, and hard to describe without spoiling it for those who still haven’t read it yet. When I first read the synopsis, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t give anything of the story away beside Alessa, the main character being a college student. I absolutely didn’t know what to expect when I read this, so when the twist came up it completely floored me. I literally stopped reading and flipped to the back synopsis, and went “What the heck?!”  

Durante was able to mix different genres effortlessly for a unique and mesmerizing storyline.  I never read any book that did what she did, and what’s more astounding is this is her first novel! The novel blends contemporary fiction, paranormal romance, Sci-fi and dystopian genre all into one neat package. You’re probably wondering how is it possible huh? I didn’t think there were such books that can do this till I read Stitch. The characters in this book are about 19 to their early 20’s, and I found most of their situation really relatable, being in college and all. The first 13 chapters are told in Alessa’s point-of-view and then jumps to another character, and from here on it jumps back and forth between the two of them. There are also flash-back scenes halfway through the book, and the structure was a bit hard to follow (scene breaks unclear) but I eventually got the flow of how everything was set up. 

The first third of the book was a bit slow as we follow Alessa through her everyday college life/sorority life (contemporary part), I wasn’t sucked in immediately because ‘contemporary’ isn’t a genre I read. As we got more into the book everything begins to change, and I found myself glued to the pages (this is where the ‘other genres’ come into play).  I know my review is pretty bare, but if I mention even a little bit of the novel, I might spoil it for you guys! I really enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to reading the next book, Shudder. I highly recommend this book to everyone, because like I said it has a little bit of everything (genre wise) for everyone. If you do plan on reading this book (which you should!), don’t read any of the reviews for this book…because most reviews out there will give everything away! Stitch is definitely a book to check out, and if you’re still not sure....the ratings online should say it all (4.4/5 stars on Amazon and 3.9/5 on Goodreads).


**Stop by again during the week because Samantha will be on the blog for an interview & Giveaway!**




No comments:

Post a Comment