Sunday, January 14, 2018

Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

Title: Burn for Me
Author: Ilona Andrews
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Series: Hidden Legacy

Mass Market Paperback, 382 Pages
Publication: October 28, 2014 by Avon

Source: Personal Library

Buy|Amazon|B&N|


Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile case. Nevada isn’t sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she’s kidnapped by Connor “Mad” Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run or surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan’s after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she’s getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.

Ilona andrews are hands down my favorite authors, their Kate Daniels series is what jump start my love for Urban Fantasy/Fantasy. Andrews has a few series under their belt and they’ve been a hit or miss for me. But when I heard they were writing a new series, The Hidden Legacy series I was ecstatic. The love for Burn for Me was off the chart and the reviews were mostly five stars. I thought great, this one is going to be a good one. Unfortunately, I didn’t love this book like I hoped I would. I think it was too hyped up or my expectations were too high, who knows. If I can described this book with a single word it'd be: underwhelming. 

Let’s start with what I liked about the book, the world-building. When Andrews were in the process of writing the book, they gave a very basic detail of the world building, in which there were magical families and the more powerful they were, the more wealth and status they had. I was intrigued. Throw in the fact that the main heroine was a PI and a human lying detector; I was sold. However, I thought the plot was weak and slightly dull. Nevada is tasked or more like threaten with bringing in a prime magic user and to help her we have Rogan, another prime bad boy. Mixed in between the task at hand was sexual tension between the two characters, nevada going back and forth between loathing and admiring Rogan and that pretty much sums up the book. Nothing complex.

For the most part I like Nevada she’s relatable and someone I can see living in my community or someone I’d be friends with. She’s independent, a business woman and a hard-worker that doesn’t need a man to fulfill or support her. She’s highly capable of taking care of herself and her family, all admirable traits. As for our male protagonist/anti-hero Rogan…he’s an alpha male, no doubt but one that rubbed me the wrong way. I remember reading other reviewers comment about how they loved him and here I’m thinking what’s to love? He’s mean, narcissistic, ignorant and unapologetic. Did everyone forget he kidnapped Nevada? And towards the end of the book he had the audacity to tell Nevada they should sleep together. I was like ew, did he really just say that? Pig. Having finished Burn for Me and seeing Rogan make a conscious effort to be better, I still didn’t like him. As for all the side characters, I thought they all fell flat. The book as a whole felt underdeveloped, like the authors rushed to put this book out. It’s definitely not on the same level as their Kate Daniel series.

With that said, I’m still debating if I should continue the series or not. The thing with loving an author is that you’d think everything they write you’ll love, that it’d be great. I went out and bought all three books in the series based solely on it being written by them. I should have read Burn for Me first. All in all, Burn for Me was an okay read. I honestly don’t remember half of what happened in the story or the characters, even Nevada failed to make a lasting impression; which is never a good thing. I may or may not continue, but for sure, I won’t be rushing to start the sequel, White Hot.






No comments:

Post a Comment