Friday, March 23, 2018

Prodigy by Marie Lu

Title: Prodigy 
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: Sci-Fi Fantasy, Young Adult
Series: Legend # 2

Trade paperback, 371 Pages
Publication: April 8, 2014 by Putnam Juvenile

Source: Personal Library

Buy|Amazon|B&N|
Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?


I can’t believe it’s been five years since I’ve read the first book in the Legend series. The first book, Legend was all about The Republic and in the sequel, readers get to see the opposing side as Day and June seek guidance and help from The Patriots. Both Day and June want revenge for what The Republic did to their families and the only way to stop The Republic is to infiltrate them from the inside. Which is why June and The Patriots concocted a plan to get her capture and pretend that she’s still loyal to get close to the new regent. As the saying goes, keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

I’m sure everyone has heard of the dreaded second book syndrome. It’s real y’all. It sadden me to say this but Prodigy definitely suffers from it. The book’s pacing was extremely slow. In some areas the book felt like it was dragging along with no action in sight. For the majority of the book, we watch as June, Day and The Patriots plan their attack…which consisted more of planning, planning and more planning. And then all that strategic planning went out the door when Day and June decided to go rouge. Even with the surprise turn of events, the climax of the story felt anticlimactic.

Bottom line, I didn’t love it as much as Legend, I think I had too high of expectations for Prodigy that I was left disappointed and underwhelmed. I’m not sure if it would’ve made a difference if I read the book at the time of its release or perhaps I’m losing interesting in the whole YA Dystopian genre; who knows. The ending of Prodigy leaves a lot of questions still, and I’m not sure how things are going to play out after learning of Day’s prognosis. I plan to finish this series and read Champion but it’s certainly not a priority.



No comments:

Post a Comment