Monday, June 04, 2018

Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe by Preston Norton

Title: Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
Author: Preston Norton
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Young Adult
Series: N/A

Hardcover, 400 Pages

Publication: June 5, 2018 by Disney-Hyperion

Source: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.


Buy|Amazon|B&N|


Cliff Hubbard is a huge loser. Literally. His nickname at Happy Valley High School is Neanderthal because he's so enormous-6'6" and 250 pounds to be exact. He has no one at school and life in his trailer park home has gone from bad to worse ever since his older brother's suicide.

There's no one Cliff hates more than the nauseatingly cool quarterback, Aaron Zimmerman. Then Aaron returns to school after a near-death experience with a bizarre claim: while he was unconscious he saw God, who gave him a list of things to do to make Happy Valley High suck less. And God said there's only one person who can help: Neanderthal.

To his own surprise, Cliff says he's in. As he and Aaron make their way through the List, which involves a vindictive English teacher, a mysterious computer hacker, a decidedly unchristian cult of Jesus Teens, the local drug dealers, and the meanest bully at HVHS--Cliff feels like he's part of something for the first time since losing his brother. But fixing a broken school isn't as simple as it seems, and just when Cliff thinks they've completed the List, he realizes their mission hits closer to home than he ever imagined
.

First off, a big THANK YOU to Disney-Hyperion for giving me an advance copy of this book for review!

Anyone who reads my blog know I’m not an avid reader of contemporary. The ones I’ve enjoyed can probably be counted on one hand. But then I was pitched Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe, and there was something that compelled me to accept and review a book and author I’ve never heard of before. And I am so, so glad I read it because this amazing, brilliant book would’ve flew under my radar otherwise.

Simply put, this book is life. Once in a blue moon you read a book that changes your life. Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe was that book. I wasn’t even passed chapter one when I knew I was going to love it and was already planning to force, I mean recommend, everyone I know and their momma to read this book. This has got to be the best Contemporary Young Adult I’ve read in years. This book was smart, beautifully written, heartbreaking, sweet, thoughtful, and ridiculously funny...like seriously funny, it should be a crime that Norton made me laugh out loud that much in public! It should also be noted that the movie/pop culture references and one-liners in this book were on point. I loved all of it!

Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe tackled issues of grief, suicide, sexuality, religion, bullying, and abuse…to name a few. And it was done exceptionally well. I read a good amount of books and from what I’ve seen and read, most authors normally take on one theme as the focus of their story when they write and not all authors are able to execute even that much. Sometimes it comes off too preachy, forceful and in your face with no subtly in sight. However, Norton was not only able to incorporate a vast amount of themes but he did it expertly and woven it into the beautifully realistic characters’ dialogue and actions. Readers were shown these important and thought-provoking ideas instead of being told about them. And that alone makes a world of a difference in how much one enjoys a book.

The characters, oh man do I love everyone. Cliff, the school outcast and Aaron, the most popular kid in school are brought together by god…literally and it was the best thing ever. The other characters that readers will meet along the way are a truly eclectic bunch and fully developed and fleshed out just as well as the main characters themselves. I can relate to so many of them and can definitely see the community I live in reflected in those characters one way or another.  Diversity is a hot topic these days and again, while many authors out there are trying to integrate that aspect into their novel…I haven’t seen it done as perfectly, flawlessly and naturally until now. Kudos to that.

Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe is a true masterpiece. Norton has crafted one of the most sincere, brilliant, pertinent, relatable YA novel in a very long time that will certainly appeal to readers of all ages. This book had me laughing until my body ache one minute and crying like a baby in the next. While the story took place in high school and dealt with the up and down of adolescence; I found the overall message to go beyond that to life in general. That life is hard but the most important thing is to always try…even when it scares you. You all know that awesome quote… “Be the change you want to see in the world”? That pretty much sums up this book perfectly.

If you can read only one book this year, let Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe be that book. I can say without any hesitation that this is the best book I read this year (yeah, I know we’re only halfway through) and nothing will top it. Nothing. “I love this book”, I don’t think those simple words can sufficiently encapsulate my feelings for this book. Because there aren’t enough words. My review cannot express or do justice to how wonderful this book is..you’re just going have to read it and see for yourself.

Read this book, and I guarantee you’ll be glad that you did. I sure am.




No comments:

Post a Comment