Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews

Title: Magic Triumphs
Author: Ilona Andrews 
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kate Daniels # 10

Hardcover, 352 Pages
Publication: August 28, 2018 by Ace

Source: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.


Buy|Amazon|B&N|

Kate has come a long way from her origins as a loner taking care of paranormal problems in post-Shift Atlanta. She's made friends and enemies. She's found love and started a family with Curran Lennart, the former Beast Lord. But her magic is too strong for the power players of the world to let her be.

Kate and her father, Roland, currently have an uneasy truce, but when he starts testing her defenses again, she knows that sooner or later, a confrontation is inevitable. The Witch Oracle has begun seeing visions of blood, fire, and human bones. And when a mysterious box is delivered to Kate's doorstep, a threat of war from the ancient enemy who nearly destroyed her family, she knows their time is up.

Kate Daniels sees no other choice but to combine forces with the unlikeliest of allies. She knows betrayal is inevitable. She knows she may not survive the coming battle. But she has to try.

For her child.

For Atlanta.

For the world.
I remember quite clearly when I first discovered the Kate Daniels series, it was the summer of 2009. I barely discovered Urban Fantasy then. But Ilona Andrews awoken and cemented my love for the genre and I’ve been a faithful reader of theirs and the genre ever since. I’ll be honest, like most of Andrews’ fans, ever since Andrews announced two years ago that the Kate Daniel’s series was coming to an end at book ten I was extremely sad. I wasn’t ready then nor was I ready now. But of course Andrews know what’s best and if it only takes ten books to tell Kate’s story then readers are just going to have to have faith that it will end as they hope and of course, Kate deserves a happy ending.

Magic Triumphs was everything I hoped it would be and so much more. This book gave me all the feels! I was grinning and laughing out loud so much. The tender moments made me immensely happy and had me crying…you always hear the term of your heart feeling so full; that’s exactly how I felt for the majority of the book. Andrews delivered on all front from the usual high quality world building, the beautiful personal scenes between characters, witty banter, incredible action scenes, to interesting mythology and a whole lot of heart. I loved every moment of Magic Triumphs.

Everything Kate has done is leading up to this point as she faces her father and an opponent she has never encountered before. Familiar characters we’ve met over the course of the series and new allies are all coming together for the final showdown to save Atlanta. Kate has always been a kick-ass characters, there isn’t anything she wouldn’t do for the people she loves. But readers will see another side to Kate; and motherhood has never looked so good…or cool! While this book was already pretty damn near perfect, the introduction of Kate’s son Conlan was one of the biggest highlight of the book for me. The kid stole every scene he was in! I don’t want to go into too much details about anything but a lot of questions readers have will get answered and while this is the end of the series for Kate and Curran; it’s not the end to the characters/world as Andrews left the an open ending for a lot of possibilities and spin-offs.

Magic Triumphs was the perfect ending to a perfect series. It’s been a hell of a ride and I am so grateful to the authors for bringing Kate and Co into my life and letting me join them on their crazy awesome journey (even if it's fictional). I’ve said this before and it bears repeating, but this series is a must read for all Urban Fantasy/Fantasy fan. The Kate Daniels series is the epitome, best of the best of what Urban Fantasy has to offer. If you haven’t by chance read this series yet, please remedy that quickly by starting at the beginning with Magic Bites. If you’ve been a long time reader of the series make sure you read Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant #1), Hugh’s book before you start Magic Triumphs it’s imperative if you want the entire story/background (Huge plays a big role in the battle). This has been such a bittersweet ending to a beloved series but it also is a new beginning for other characters to share their own story. I’m so ready and can’t wait to see what new adventures awaits us with Andrews at the helm. 




No comments:

Post a Comment