Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Afterimage by Naomi Hughes

Title: Afterimage
Author: Naomi Hughes 
Genre: Sci-Fi Fantasy
Series: N/A

Hardcover, 320 Pages
Publication: September 18, 2018 by Page Street Kids

Source: I received a review copy from the publisher/
Saichek Publicity in exchange for a honest review.

Buy|Amazon|B&N|

A horrific explosion levels part of the city and Camryn Kingfisher is the sole survivor.

Amidst controversy, conspiracy theories, and threats from government officials, Camryn longs for the truth. But the only person who she can turn to is a transparent boy in a lab coat named Quint. Unsure whether he’s a hallucination or a ghost, Camryn has no choice but to trust him as they become embroiled in a plot that is bigger than either of them realize.

In a race where the fabric of time and space is at stake, they must figure out who caused the explosion before the culprit comes back to finish Camryn―and her city―off for good

I had high expectations for Afterimage but it fell short when the story took a turn towards Sci-Fi. I’m all for Sci-Fi but the synopsis promised a Dystopian novel, and that was what I was expecting…I felt mislead. The book started with a bang, literally, when an explosion rocks a research/government facility wiping out the entire area within a 10-15 mile radius. The only survivor is our heroine Camryn and another boy, Quint, who may or may not be a figment of her imagination.

Everyone blames Camryn’s mother for the accident and she sets out to prove her mother’s innocence and investigate the shady organization that her mother worked for. The surprise twist, when things turned into a Sci-Fi was about halfway through the book and where we also find out why she was the only person able to see Quint. I thought it was a cool twist but the plot development seemed clunky and ill-defined. It could have been a great idea if it was executed better.

I also wasn’t feeling the characters. Camryn and Quint were pretty one-dimensional. I’m sure Camryn is supposed to be this beyond​ brave girl, breaking and entering buildings, fending off multiple attacks/attempts, and outsmarting the shady agency but it wasn’t the least bit believable…less believable than the Sci-Fi twist. I never felt invested in the characters and found myself caring less and less as the story progressed.

Afterimage had a cool concept but it never went further than that. It had potential though. I just wished I enjoyed it more than I did. However, there are way more positive and glowing reviews for Afterimage, and although I didn’t enjoy it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t. I’d recommend checking out a sample excerpt before reading and/or purchasing.





No comments:

Post a Comment