Wednesday, May 29, 2019

How Not to Die Alone by Richard Roper


Title: How Not to Die Alone
Author: Richard Roper
Genre: Fiction
Series: N/A

Hardcover, 336 pages
Publication: May 28, 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

Source: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

Buy|Amazon|B&N|
Andrew's day-to-day is a little grim, searching for next of kin for those who die alone. Thankfully, he has a loving family waiting for him when he gets home, to help wash the day's cares away. At least, that's what his coworkers believe.

Andrew didn't mean for the misunderstanding to happen, yet he's become trapped in his own white lie. The fantasy of his wife and two kids has become a pleasant escape from his lonely one bedroom with only his Ella Fitzgerald records for company. But when new employee Peggy breezes into his life like a breath of fresh air, Andrew is shaken out of his routine. She doesn't notice the wall he's been safely hiding behind and their friendship promises to break it down.

Andrew must choose: Does he tell the truth and start really living his life, but risk losing his friendship with Peggy? Or will he stay safe and alone, behind the façade?
Every year, without fail, I come across a book that enthralls me from beginning to end. A book that takes me on an emotional roller coaster, has me in deep contemplation about life and a story that stays with me long after I’ve read it. This year that wonderful gem of a book is How Not to Die Alone.

How Not to Die Alone tells the story of Andrew, who has an unusual day job which consists of rummaging through recently deceased’s home for clues of next of kin and financial records and attending their funerals. It’s a pretty morbid job, and after years of going from one property to the next; Andrew, who is 42-years-old and lives alone begins to wonder if the same fate awaits him.

How Not to Die Alone has one of the most unique premises I’ve ever read. I never knew about Pauper funerals until I read this book, and that it’s a legit, real job! Pauper funerals A.K.A. Public Health Funerals is predominantly found in the U.K. (not sure bout the U.S) and are funded by the local council in an event a person dies without anyone to pay for their funeral or when they don’t have enough money. And it seems that more and more people are passing away alone. I remember reading an article not too long ago how loneliness is on the rise amongst seniors and teens and how it was considered an epidemic.

Scary stuff.

I thought Roper did a spectacular job highlighting such a delicate, sometimes taboo topic, because let’s be real; no one likes talking about or admitting to being lonely or contemplate how we’re all eventually going to die. Roper created a compelling, touching, heartbreaking and at times hilarious story that shows us the meaning of life, not to be afraid to take risk, and especially, to forget and let go of all the pettiness and bullshit. Because most of the time, that’s all it really is and not worth anyone being estranged from friends or family over.

I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. As I’ve already mentioned, I thought the story was clever and unique. I’ve read countless of novels that dealt with bullying, depression,and suicide…but never loneliness. And I’m so glad Roper wrote it. It’s a book I think we all need and one that will be well received. I thought the writing was exceptional and the characters were well-developed and realistic. I liked how Roper slowly revealed the mystery bit by bit behind Andrew and Sally’s relationship and why/how his white lie overtook his life. There wasn’t a lot of action but the mystery was so intriguing and well-written that I barely even noticed, not till it was almost over that there was no action (I’m an action kinda gal) but it didn’t even matter because it’s just so darn good.

SPOILER! WARNING!

Stop. Do not pass Go. Do not collect the $200. Spoiler ahead!

I know y’all, this anit monopoly. Alright I warned you.

Anyways, as I was saying it was so good, I’m shocked that I overlooked by biggest peeve: cheating.

Andrew ends up falling for his co-worker who is married with children. I hate all forms of cheating. Hate it. Even the romanticized kind we see in most chick flicks today. I’d normally stop reading a book immediately when situations like this pop-up but damn-it, I liked Andrew and even Peggy, so much so that I continued reading! I loved everything about the book, except the cheating…even if Peggy’s husband is a POS alcoholic, it doesn’t make cheating okay. Plus, it didn’t do anything for the story itself. I didn’t see the purpose for including it because it didn’t help nor was it needed for the novel to progress forward. It may have complicated matters for the two leads to be together but couldn’t there been another dilemma, couldn’t she been divorce and not ready for a relationship? I don’t know…just anything else? Alright, end of rant.

With that said, overall I really enjoyed this book. There were so many times while reading, that I stopped and mulled things over. Most of the time I read for pure escapism but once in awhile a book makes me reflect and think on a deeper level. I appreciate those type of books. I appreciate this book. It made me take a moment to look at my own life. One of the things Andrew encountered in his job was how much family and friend lost touch, aren’t on speaking terms over the most silly, inconsequential things. Sure we all argue, we’re human…but for me, it made me take a step back and evaluate the times when I stopped talking to my friends and family over asinine things. This book made me more conscious of it and for that I’m grateful.

Sorry, this review got a bit too melancholic! How Not to Die Alone deals with death and loneliness but Roper balances everything out with plenty of humor. My favorite scenes were definitively the work dinners. That last one with the train gang was the absolute best! I highly, highly recommend this book, read it A.S.A.P you won’t be disappointed…I mean, even the title is pretty darn freakin’ witty and awesome.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment