Tuesday, February 06, 2024

Crave by Tracy Wolff

Title: Crave
Author: Tracy Wolff
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy
Series: Crave # 1
Hardcover, 571 pages 
Publication: April 7, 2020 by Entangle Teen
Source: Personal library 
Buy|AMAZON
|B&N|
My whole world changed when I stepped inside the academy. Nothing is right about this place or the other students in it. Here I am, a mere mortal among gods…or monsters. I still can’t decide which of these warring factions I belong to, if I belong at all. I only know the one thing that unites them is their hatred of me.

Then there’s Jaxon Vega. A vampire with deadly secrets who hasn’t felt anything for a hundred years. But there’s something about him that calls to me, something broken in him that somehow fits with what’s broken in me.

Which could spell death for us all.

Because Jaxon walled himself off for a reason. And now someone wants to wake a sleeping monster, and I’m wondering if I was brought here intentionally—as the bait.

MY THOUGHTS

Crave has been on my to-be-read list for years, and I finally got around to picking it up. Lately, I've been on a vampire kick. This Young Adult series has often been compared to Twilight. Even though it's been years since I read Twilight, the parallels are evident – a human girl falling for a notorious vampire, but not just any vampire, a prince!

However, the book turned out to be very juvenile and silly. In my opinion, it's even worse than Twilight. The writing style made it clear that an adult was attempting to emulate a teen's voice, and the forced attempts at using trendy lingo came off as more cringe than cool. I'm surprised I managed to finish the book because the main heroine was throwing around phrases like “This is crazy AF” and “He’s sexy AF” – do teens even talk like that? LOL, or am I just really old?

While the character development and writing were decent, the world-building and concept offered nothing new. I never found myself invested in the characters, Grace and Jaxon, unlike the connection readers had with Bella and Edward. The first two-thirds of the book felt like candy – visually appealing but lacking substance. It wasn’t until the last few chapters that things became interesting. I'm a bit curious about what happens next, but unless the sequel introduces a substantial plot, I doubt I'll explore other books in this lengthy series. Essentially, Crave was a plot-less book; not much happened, and there wasn’t a real mystery, at least not until it was too late.

All in all, Crave was a somewhat disappointing read. If you're in the mood for more YA vampire series, I'd recommend exploring older series released between 2005 and 2018. Those were the stories worth delving into!



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment