Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Shardless by Stephanie Fisher

Title:
 Shardless
Author: Stephanie Fisher
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Tempris # 1
Paperback, 639 pages 
Publication: May 30, 2019
Source: Personal Library
Buy|AMAZON
|
Magic marked her for suffering.

Magic will save her.

Magic will lead her home.

On Temris, time magic is outlawed, and suspected time mages are hunted. Humans are second-class citizens, shunned by the immortal fey that live on the island. They even have a name for their kind: Shardless.

Taly is one of the lucky humans. Taken in by a fey noble and his family, she’s lived a good life, surrounded by people she loves. But when an accidental brush with magic causes her to see things — ghostly apparitions that give her small glimpses into the future — it has deadly consequences. The Sanctorum has returned to the island, and if they find her, they’ll kill her. And anyone that tries to protect her.This includes her best friend, Skye. He was the boy that saved her. The man she knew she could never have. And when he refuses to let her go, their actions might hold the power to reshape the world.

An ancient evil is rising, and in order to protect those that she cares for, Taly will have to sacrifice everything.

MY THOUGHTS

I've had Shardless on my TBR for years and almost forgot about it. I happily stumbled upon a review of the book, raving that it was the best thing the reviewer read in a while; and the reader was right! I picked up Shardless and I. Could. Not. Put. It. Down. It was that freaking amazing! 

I've read a few books this year but I have to say, Shardless was a breath of fresh air. The writing was impeccable, it flowed so easily and effortlessly. I believe this was Fisher's Debut novel but if I didn't know better, I would've thought she was a seasoned author with multiple novels under her belt. 

I LOVE the world-building, it's fantasy but has a Steampunk, Futuristic undertone. The world was well-developed yet straightforward, and easy to understand. The characters were multifaceted and intricate layers. Everyone from Taly our wonderfully snarky, kick-butt heroine down to the villains was distinctive and memorable. Taly and Skye relationship was so sweet. I loved their banter and the tension and chemistry they had. The build-up had me glued to the page! Lol 

Shardless was a very character-driven novel but it was also action-packed. Readers were thrown right into the story right into the prologue until the very last page. And that ending...that cliffhanger ending had me shocked and giddy to see what happens next.

Without a doubt, Shardless was not only the best book I've read so far this year in 2024 but I could confidently say it's probably one of the best books I've read in the last few years. I wholeheartedly enjoyed and was immersed into the story; so much do, that I forgot I was reading and never wanted the story to end. However, when I did have to put it down for life stuff I was constantly thinking about the world and characters.

If you haven't read Shardless yet. What are you waiting for?! I highly recommend picking it up, you won't regret it!





No comments:

Post a Comment