Monday, August 01, 2011

Review: Viper Moon by Lee Roland

Title & Author: Viper Moon by Lee Roland
Series & Genre: Urban Fantasy, Earth Witches #1

Published on July 5, 2011 by Signet
Mass market paperback, 352 pages

Where did I get this book: Bought

Blurb: Cassandra Archer is the Huntress. She has faithfully served the Earth Mother for years, rescuing kidnapped children from monsters-both human and supernatural-dwelling in the ruins of the Barrows District. But when two children are kidnapped under similar circumstances, all clues point to a cataclysmic event on the next dark moon. Now Cass must race against the clock and prevent a sacrifice that could destroy the entire town...

Review: Cass is a Huntress (kinda like a witch), who was chosen to be the Huntress by the Earth Mother at the age of 18 years old. Her main job is to find and rescue lost/abducted children. The main story is center around two main children, one belonging to the city's biggest crime boss and another to a detective. The book kinda started out slow, it didn't hold my attention like other books I read. Every time I picked it up, I never got pass 5-6 pages...and ended up putting it down. About more than halfway through the book, the story finally picked up more momentum. The plot was somewhat predictable and not really inventive. The main villain of the story "the darkness" who was not scary like he was described throughout the book but kinda lame. When the ending came it was anti-climatic, and I felt like everything that led up to that point ended up losing steam...like the author just wanted it to end or ran out of ideas.

The main heroine was likeable and main hero not so likeable, but that's probably because while reading it they reminded me of another exact couple that I've read before. Both characters reminded me of Gin Blanco and Donovan Caine from Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series. I wonder if the author read Mrs. Estep's book, and kinda based her ideas off of those characters. Overall the book was good not all bad. I just found out this is where Cassandra's journey ends and the next earth witches book will feature another Huntress. I like following books with the same characters in a series, so I will not be picking up the next book.

Would I recommend this to other? Yes, if you enjoy reading UF, maybe you'll even like it more than I did. I would say borrow from a library or friend if possible...not a shelf keeper.

Rating: ★★★


No comments:

Post a Comment