Thursday, December 15, 2011

Short & Sweet Review: Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Title: Kiss of Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult
Series: A Mythos Academy novel #2 

Paperback, 354 pages
Published November 29th 2011 by Kensington 
 
Where did I get it: Bought it for pleasure reading

Purchase the book on Amazon
 
Summary (via Goodreads): 
Logan Quinn was try­ing to kill me. My Spar­tan class­mate relent­lessly pur­sued me, swing­ing his sword at me over and over again, the shin­ing sil­ver blade inch­ing closer to my throat every time. A smile tugged up his lips, and his ice-blue eyes prac­ti­cally glowed with the thrill of battle...

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword...
 
My thoughts: I am a big fan of Ms. Estep’s Elemental Assassin series, and while I read the first book in her young adult series, Touch of Frost...I wasn’t yet fully sold on the new series.  Readers didn’t have to wait long for the second book in the Mythos Academy series, which released at the end of last month just three months after the first book. After reading Kiss of Frost, Mythos Academy #2, I am glad to say that this series will be on my auto-buy list from now on.  
 In Kiss of Frost, we return to the school for warrior-whiz kids, where Gwen Frost is continuing her second year. Within the first one to two chapter of the book Gwen is getting attacked again. She thinks a reaper (Loki’s minions) is out to kill her because last year she killed a classmate who was an uncover reaper. Gwen thought that maybe she would catch a break when the entire school goes on a holiday trip to the annual winter carnival (similar to a resort), but no surprise there when bad things begins to happen at the winter carnival. Instead of hiding in her room, Gwen does everything possible to find out who the killer before they strike again.
I enjoyed this book more than the previous book in the series. Readers will get to learn more about Gwen’s power and that there’s more to it than seeing and feeling people’s emotions. In the first book, we found out that Gwen mother passed away due to a car accident, but new information reveals the truth behind her mother’s death.  While I enjoyed most of the book, once again there were a couple of things that irked me.  The author repeated A LOT of the same information over and over. It felt like she was recapping throughout the entire book, I tried to not let that get in the way of me enjoying the book though. I hope that in the next book, there won’t be as much. If we took out all the filler/repeats it would probably be 178 pages instead of 354 pages.  Another thing that bothered me was Gwen’s whining. She kept repeating over and over how Logan, the Spartan turned her down, and how hot he is. She sounded so sad and desperate, which is a total turn-off in a character.
Overall Kiss of Frost was still a great addition to the series, and I look forward to reading the third book, Dark Frost which will be released May 2012. If you’re looking for a fun and quick read, pick up this series! 


No comments:

Post a Comment